The Nursing Diaries: Baby, Make my Heart Beat Faster

Yesterday was my second day of clinical at the postpartum unit. Yeah, so much more exciting than the elections. My second day was much better than the first because I was assigned a patient and a wonderful nurse to learn more about how to do postpartum and newborn assessments. I got to take the mom and baby's vital signs, and boy do those baby hearts beat fast! And then they moan and cry because you're touching them and their hearts start to sound like you just slammed the acceleration pedal! It's really cool! It was so hard to count and keep up but I finally got it! I think. My heart tends to run on the slow side, people sometimes think I have low blood pressure but I guess I'm just really relaxed all the time.

My instructor then did the postpartum and newborn assessments first so that we could learn how to do them correctly. It was very insightful and an amazing learning experience. Next week I'll practice it all on my own with my patient! Nervous but excited! That's about all I can say for now. I'm having a great time, feeling like a nurse and kind of sort of acting like one! Stay tuned for more fun stories next week! I think it'll get more exciting every Tuesday!

"For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
   I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well."
Psalm 139:13-14

With Much Love,

No comments: