Know Him

We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 
[1 John 2:3-4]
It's easy to live believing in the existence of God and living as if he didn't exist. We've all done it at some point--try to shove the knowledge of God in the back of our minds so our conscious won't haunt us when we do something that is not within the will he has for our lives. Regardless, the Spirit catches up to us and reminds us that Christ is there, watching, waiting, loving us back to his warm embrace. Do you know the Lord? Or do you just know about him? Do you know him intimately? Have you found yourself in his presence and felt him surround you with his mercy, his love, his peace? Do you follow his commands as expressed in his Word, the Bible and look forward to a happily ever after in heaven by his side? Or do you live each day, failing to obey his commands, expecting to make it to heaven, forgetting that Jesus said "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father in heaven?" 

I grew up knowing about God but not knowing God intimately. Knowing about God is empty. You feel like this whole religion thing is not worth it, you question why you have to follow so many rules, you desire worldly things and don't understand why you shouldn't have them. Knowing God intimately is all together different. As I started to know God intimately, as my Redeemer, my friend, my lover, then and only then did everything start to make sense. Suddenly, I didn't want to disobey him, I didn't want to dress inappropriately, I didn't want to listen to or watch things that mocked my God's name, I didn't desire the world anymore, I just desired him.  

I pray that starting this week you will seek the Lord and find Him. His promise is that "You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart." [Jeremiah 29:13] Go! Search for Him like a treasure hunt and you will find love, peace, joy, and life worth far more than gold. 

Blessings,



No comments: