Al's Breakfast Experience

When my husband and I saw this breakfast joint featured on the  Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, we knew we wanted to taste it. We hadn't gotten around to it till yesterday though. This is a pretty unique spot. As you can see in the picture below, Al's breakfast is only 10 ft wide and very short in comparison to the two tall buildings towering on each of its sides. It only has 14 stools inside so you typically have to make a pretty long line to be able to eat. When you do finally get seated at a stool, you have people standing behind you waiting for you to finish eating so that they can be seated as soon as you're done. It is so interesting. Here's the sequence of events:
We waited outside for nearly 45 minutes just to make it to the door. In the meantine we took pictures, chatted, and signed a homeless guy's bike for an "art show."
Once we finally made it to the door, we were stuck in this tiny space (picture 1) until we we managed to move in through the very narrow door (picture 2) into the restaurant (picture 3). Then we waited behind the people having their breakfast (picture 4) for another 30 minutes or so.  As you can see, the space between us and the people dining was minimal. Our brunch essentially became lunch because we ended up eating at 12:30 PM!
At last, we were seated and quickly served some OJ! The waiter took our orders right away and the food was out very quickly.
I got to say, the wait was worth it. That pancake was hands down the best pancake I've ever had in my life. And the other dish up there, yeah, that's mine too. So not vegan, I know! I got whole wheat bread though!  It was yummy. Pouched egg on potato hash brown with cheddar cheese and salsa. Next time I wil lget something different (maybe more pancakes!) because the salsa was a tad bit spicy for my tastebuds. It was definitely an experience!

Did I just make you want to have breakfast for dinner? Sorry!

With Love,

No comments: